Thursday 16 August 2012

Finding the Aqueduct of Valens

Yesterday I went for a run at about 10am. I went for about 
50 minutes and had a massive headache by the afternoon. That will teach me for re-hydrating myself with Coke Zero. Running through Istanbul is like running in the wild. Constantly watching for cars in all directions and making sure I didn't run into pedestrians. It was worth it though as I was in search of the Aqueduct of Valens. It was commissioned by Emperor Valens in AD 373. Apparently there were 400km of aqueducts at the time. They had 30 bridges and 100 cisterns.

There is only 200m left, but it is amazing. The area is hilly so they had to build a bridge over an expanse of about 80m. It must have been 30 meters high. The different lanes of a major road each use a different gap in the bridge. I was a bit gutted I couldn't get on it but had a great time running beside it trying to work out how.


That's me jumping between lanes just in front of the aqueduct.

No comments:

Post a Comment