Tuesday 14 August 2012

Blue Mosque and Archaeological Museum

Merhaba, (hello),

Todays itinerary includes BLUE MOSQUE, Archaeological museum, Burger King, housework, and return to Blue Mosque for evening light show.


Blue Mosque - Sultan Ahmet 1603-17 set out to build a monument that would rival the nearby Aya Sofya, it has similar architecture, but lacked the 'awe inspiring factor' which I felt at Aya Sofya. It still had a wham-bam effect because it is so well maintained. The blue tiles inside (tens of thousands of them) give the building its official name and the 260 windows are pretty WOW!







Museum - Istanbul boosts it is the European capital of culture, I am certainly enjoying all of the culture/history that is right at our door step. Today it was concentrated history...over 1 million pieces were on display they all carry traces of various periods and cultures in the world history.


The museum is made up of 3 units, museum of archaeology, the museum of the Ancient Orient and the museum of the tiled kiosk. Things that were memorable for me were the Sarcophagus of the mourning women unearthed in the excavation at the Royal Necropolis of Sidon. Portrait of Alexander the Great, sculpture artifacts recovered from the three marble cities of the Roman Era, Aphrodisias, Ephosos, and Miletos.

Very disappointed that the children's museum was closed... wanted the girls to have hands on experience and I wanted to see the re-make of the Trojan horse.

Henry spotted a 'young at heart group' with a tour guide he said "that will be us in 20 yrs, and that won't be far away!" Well we will have to do it again as the girls endurance faded quickly. I was carrying Holly around and Henry was coaching the big two. Do hope the next 20 years doesn't go too quickly however!

Its amazing how stepping into Burger King can quickly change the state of the girls ;)!! During lunch Henry asked Sophia "What do you want to be when you get older?" "An archaeologist, or scientist", "Mmm, ok, and Jules?" "tall enough to go on all of the big water slides!" After the muffled chuckles passed, to console both of us she added "a primary teacher and when I get better a maths teacher!" Mmmm thanks Jules! ;)

Back for a break and realising our apartment wouldn't get cleaned unless I did it, I swept, tidied and mopped, all with one tiny broom and a small cleaning towel.

When we are at home the kids watch t.v, create with their spira graphs which we bought on the street, make train/huts with the furniture and squabble. They have done some reading today and written some postcards. We have been writing a few over the past week for birthdays which we have missed etc, oops! I have been on the hunt for a post shop which has been a difficult task. Following the guidebook directions today led us to a deserted building. When I asked at a tourist information kiosk we were told the nearest was two tram stops away, Mmm bother! I had discovered it would cost 3 Lira per postcard so have been on the hunt for an envelope which I found today yeah! Hoping to send a pile to Doortje and getting her to be the postie.

I decided I would go to the neighbouring hotel to see if they provided a postal service, they do but wanted to open my envelope, I was really against that as I had had to go to a lot of trouble to find an envelope and then sellotape to seal it. I was told it could be 15 Lira to send and that if I returned in the morning they would do it for me. Eventually I managed to get directions from the hotel staff to the closest post office, it was no more then 50 metres away!!!I posted my envelopes with 6+ postcards inside for 3Lira.


When ever I am out the back of our apartment hanging out washing there is something new to see. Today it was men hanging in the tree trying to pick some fruit. He was a grown man and it was a drop of about 15m onto a concrete patio. 












Off to find tea and light show at the mosque.

XS.

No comments:

Post a Comment