Saturday 8 September 2012

First Week of Teaching

Its certainly different teaching in an English school. Well maybe not that different. Will I ever get used to wearing a suit and tie? I certainly wont be playing much sport out on the field with the kids.

The kids are great. They are very polite and even the lower streams are intelligent. The school has an entrance examination. There does seem to be a real emphasis on knowing rules and process. Every time I ask the question "why" I usually get blank expressions. I have a student who is new to the school and has immigrated from the states. He has a much better concept of why mathematical concepts work.

The staff at Kings are very friendly and it has made my start here much easier. I have even been dedicated a buddy who loves Rugby and is Welsh. Rugby isn't big here. The school is covered in soccer fields, maybe 10 and there is 1 Rugby field. I only wish I could have spoken at the sign-up meeting. I have been given a two period weekly slot for sport as part of my allocated timetable. Of course it is to take a soccer team.

Here's a photo of some of the Maths faculty. Neil is in the middle being the Head of department. Very relaxed. We do work long hours tho and I usually get home by 6pm. It takes me 20mins to get out of my suit and into my riding gear and 30mins to bike home. 

We are given a free lunch every day. It is to die for and will be motivation enough to arrive at school each day. They have cooked meals and enough fruit to even keep me going. So much for trying to loose weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment